Skip to Content

Underage Drinking Laws in Denton, TX


While it’s very clear that anyone under the age of 21 cannot drink alcohol and drive in Texas and all 50 states, a lot of people are not sure of other alcohol laws relating to minors (people under the age of 21).

Texans often have these questions about underage drinking:

  • Can a minor drink at home?
  • Can a parent give their son or daughter alcohol?
  • Is it illegal to give alcohol to a minor?
  • Is it illegal for a minor to use a fake ID to purchase alcohol?
  • Can a minor drink in a parked car?
  • Can a minor be drunk in public?

We’ll tell you right now that all the above are illegal in Texas. Unlike some states, it is NOT legal for parents or legal guardians to furnish alcohol to a minor. If any adult gives alcohol to someone under the age of 21, they’ll face a stiff penalty. Providing alcohol to a minor is a Class A misdemeanor (one level below a felony), punishable by a fine up to $4,000 or up to one year in jail, or both.

Overview of Alcohol Offenses for Minors

Here’s a quick overview of underage alcohol offenses:

  • It’s illegal for minors to purchase, attempt to purchase, consume, or possess alcoholic beverages in Texas. Violators are guilty of a Class C misdemeanor and face up to a $500 fine, an alcohol awareness class, up to 40 hours of community service and 30 to 180-day denial or loss of driver license.
  • If a minor has one previous alcohol-related conviction, his or her driver license will be suspended for one year if a judge requires an alcohol awareness program and the minor fails to attend.
  • Adults, who are 21 and over and are not the minor’s parents can be financially responsible for damages caused by an intoxicated minor (under 18) if they knowingly provide or serve alcohol to a minor on the premises that is owned or leased by the individual charged. For example, if a bar owner lets a minor drink alcohol on his or her premises, and the minor causes a DWI accident, the bar owner can be sued for damages.

Related: When Does Texas Try Juveniles as Adults?

Are you looking for a Denton DWI lawyer to represent you in a case involving an underage alcohol offense? If so, contact Derek A. Adame, Attorney at Law for a hard-hitting defense!

Share To: